(TV) ancient tv trivia, and the neo boys

i just got the neo boys 7" reissue from rough trade.  the liner notes include some television trivia (in interview format):

pat:  one of the earliest shows was with television and we really weren't very good.  we really were very nervous and it was a big show.

kim:  it was a huge show for us, opening for television at the earth.  we had to have at least 20 minutes of material and we didn't have that many songs.  so we played this one song called "sooner or later" and those were the only lyrics in the song and we played it for like seven minutes to fill the set.

pat:  i remember seeing television, not like really laughing at us, but looking at us and wondering what the hell was going on.  it was a lot of fun and after that show we got a lot better really fast.

it gives me a somewhat fuller picture of that night (which we've all heard, via the bootleg) to think of these kids opening the show.

they also talk about their musical inspiration coming from reading rock scene magazines and picking out the bands they liked, including television.

(the neo boys were the first all-female punk band from portland.  their name comes from a patti smith poem of the same name, which was, incidentally, written about tom.  they were super young -- 14-17 or so.  their few recordings have been out of print for ages -- the 7" has just been reissued.  if you do a google search, you can mp3 downloads of their stuff -- but if you buy the 7", they may get a few bucks).