(TV) Top CDs of 2010

As the sales of CDs continue to decline, music and the music industry
continue to shift inexorably away from the concept of albums (much less the
concept album). The search for new music now runs from online forums to
videos to ad placements (no mention of radio!), making it nearly impossible
for new bands to get noticed. So my 2010 list is bereft of new bands, though
a new band, the London Souls, rocked my world without a CD release. A few of
the names below are newish, but all the music is terrific....presenting 15
keepers from 2010.

Best 5:
The Besnard Lakes b The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night b The third
album and second to make my list by the Montreal band headed by a husband
and wife tandem mixes psychedelic atmospherics with indie drive.
The Black Angels b Phosphene Dream b Another third release and second to
make my list, out of Austin, named after a Velvet Underground song, they
blend rock roots and indie flair with psychedelic highlights.
The Bluetones b A New Athens b 14 years after its first release, a
favorite
at the time, this London band tops the list with this sublime
Britpop-survivor collection.
Dead Confederate b Sugar b Grunge meets alt-country in Athens, GA and a
brilliant disc is the result.
Midlake b The Courage of Others b A band from Denton, TX that defies
description, building from jazz roots, melding gorgeous harmonies, keys,
guitars, even 2 flutes to create a remarkable sound that shimmers and
glistens.

Next 5:
Black Mountain b Wilderness Heart b Vancouver guitar virtuoso Stephen
McBean
presents another great set of music.
Blitzen Trapper b Destroyer of the Void b Ethereal, light, beautiful folk
rock.
Roky Erickson b True Love Cast Out Evil b Roky Erickson led the seminal
psych-rock band 13th Floor Elevators, then spent years in mental hospitals
and seclusion. This disc consists of songs written years ago and brought
beautifully to life with Will Sheff and Okkervil River
Manic Street Preachers b Postcards From a Young Man b A perennial
favorite,
the Welsh alt-punk band has survived and thrived thru 10 albums.
Neil Young b Le Noise b Neil just goes on and on. Daniel Lanois produced
this solo effort that showcases the breadth of sound that one guitarist can
produce.

Another 5:
Against Me! b White Crosses b Their first and only major label release
may
have alienated some of their punk base, but is a solid set of music by a
terrific band.
Arcade Fire b The Suburbs b Much hyped third release by the Montreal
collective that continues to explore dark and light in all its musical
configurations.
Jesca Hoop b Hunting My Dress b Once nanny to Tom Waits children, this
singer-songwriter uses her expressive voice to wondrous effect.
Plants and Animals b La La Land b Post-classic rock from Montreal that
takes
indie rock back to its roots.
Spoon b Transference b Another fine collection by the veteran indie band
from Austin.

And a special mention to Bruce Springsteen for the reissue, The Promise:
Darkness at the Edge of Town Story, which includes unreleased songs and live
performances in a superb box set.
Nothing to copy
Clear all items
Web clipboard help
Arabic
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simplified)
Chinese (Traditional)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English
Finnish
French
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Latvian
Lithuanian
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish
Swedish
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese
Newb:
Ctrl+OOpen...
Upload...
See revision history
Languageb:
Rename...
Make a copy...
Download asb:
Ctrl+SSaved
Page setup...
Print settings...
Print preview
Ctrl+PPrint
Ctrl+ZUndo
Ctrl+YRedo
Ctrl+XCut
Ctrl+CCopy
Ctrl+VPaste
Ctrl+ASelect all
Ctrl+Shift+ASelect none
Find and replace...
Show comments
Show ruler
Show equation toolbar
Show spelling suggestions
Ctrl+Shift+FCompact controls
Hide controls
Image...
Ctrl+KLink...
Equation...
Drawing...
Ctrl+Alt+MComment
Footnote
Special characters...
Horizontal line
Page break (for printing)
Header
Footer
Bookmark
Table of contents
Ctrl+BBold
Ctrl+IItalic
Ctrl+UUnderline
Strikethrough
Ctrl+.Superscript
Ctrl+,Subscript
Paragraph stylesb:
Alignb:
Line spacingb:
List stylesb:
Ctrl+\Clear formatting
Translate document...
Ctrl+Shift+YDefine...
Ctrl+Shift+CWord count
Preferences...
Insert tableb:
Insert row above
Insert row below
Insert column left
Insert column right
Delete table
Delete row
Delete column
Table properties...
Google Docs Help Center
Learn from other Google users
Watch a video introduction
Report an issue
Ctrl+/Keyboard shortcuts
B+ Close preview

 Print
Keyboard shortcutsOpen in a new
window<http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=179738>|
CloseText formattingCtrl + B :BoldCtrl + I :ItalicCtrl + U :UnderlineCtrl +.:
SuperscriptCtrl +, :SubscriptParagraph formattingCtrl + Alt + 0 :Normal text
Ctrl + Alt + [ 1 - 6 ] :Heading [1-6]Ctrl + Shift + L :Left alignCtrl +
Shift + E :Center alignCtrl + Shift + R :Right alignCtrl + Shift + J :
JustifyCtrl + Shift + 7 :Numbered listCtrl + Shift + 8 :Bulleted
listCtrl +\:Clear
formattingActionsCtrl + K :Insert linkCtrl + Alt + M :Insert commentCtrl + F:
FindCtrl + Shift + C :Word countCtrl + Shift + Y :Get definitions
Private
Only people explicitly granted permission can access. Sign-in required.
Sharing settings...
Email editors/viewers...
Email as attachment...
Publish to the Web...