(TV) (OT):Tech Q on optimally converting vinyl to digital

Sent this to Television-Group List , but not sure many people read it anymore.

I have a very good Thorens turntable from several yrs ago, so I do not want to buy another with
USB to convert some rare & pristine vinyl LPs to digital (lossless, not mp3) files.  I also
already have the needed Audacity software.

Q:  Would I get better digital audio-quality if I have my turnable connected to my amplifier
(also a good one with a phono inputs) and connected the amplifier's stereo Tape-Monitor-Outs to
my PC's Line-In jack  using a Y-shaped audio patch cable with 3.5mm (1/8") mini stereo plug?

Or would I get better digital audio-quality by buying an analog-to-digital USB interface for
about $35 (just an example, an Alesis Phonolink Convert Vinyl/Tape To Digital [3698]) and put
it between the amplifier's Tape-Monitor-Outs and my PC?

Or is there a 3rd alternative?

Important fact:  PC is a 2005 Dell (Dimension 2400 series) with Pentium 4 processor, but
obviously with a circa 2005 internal soundcard.