Re: (TV) Counterbalance: "Marquee Moon"

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM, William Ancell <thebilbicus@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

> "Drop buzz words like proto-punk, art house rock, or New Wave?"
>
> Dear lord.
> These people don't know the difference between words and terms!

I agree it was a tough, grating read: they were knives-out to gut the
hipsters, but they dropped hipsterisms like breadcrumbs in a Bavarian
forest.

I slightly, slightly see the "dance music" thing.  In a way they were saying
the music sounds more like pre-mechanized dance music (Motown, James Brown,
etc.) than blaring wall of sound "rawk", and that's sort of true: the
template in the form of '60s bands like The Count Five does have a certain
social dancing leaning.  I think they were also making a link to scratchy
minimalist post-punk funk bands like Gang of Four, B-52's, Pylon, Joy
Division, Talking Heads.  Which is less salient... the legacies of those
bands are tied together in retrospect, but those others were out to be
danceable, which I don't think was a project of Verlaine's.

When they started talking about how you could hear the danciness if you
adjusted the BPMs and stuff, it went off the rails. I mean, I could take a
Dillards record, speed it up and fly in some house beats and you could dance
to it... doesn't mean there was any intent on the band's part to create a
disco song.

-Rex