Re: (TV) Record Store Day

our RSD was like a kid's christmas story, only the kind that never actually
happened, where you get everything you wanted.

i went with my girlfriend and brother, and we each knew the other's wants.  we
showed up at the biggest local indie an hour before they opened, and there
were already about 150 people in line.  by the time the doors opened at 10,
i'd say 300 were lined up.

the selection was spread throughout the store, and alphabetized (LPs and
singles were split over two sides).  this really helped.  it was a bit of a
madhouse, but mostly people were decent.

first, i looked for big star and saw it was already gone.  then, i saw the
last copy of LATOW disappear from the shelf right in front of me -- i was in
the middle of reaching for it.  but, my brother had managed to snag me a
copy.  and a really nice guy who was in front of us in line saw me, asked if i
had gotten the big star (we had been talking about it before).  when i said i
missed it, he gave me a copy -- he had snagged two, and you can only purchase
one.  i was so happy i hugged him.

we ended up going to two other stores, and between the three of us at three
places, found everything we wanted (minus the GBV tribute on vinyl, but i got
it on CD).  i will say, the store that had everything crowded together in one
small section was really crazy -- terrible way to handle the big bunch of
people all heading for it at the same time.  sounds like this is what phil
experienced.  although at that store, i found the international submarine band
disc that wasn't at either of the other two.

and i found one extra LATOW.  leo, it's heading your way.  if i had found
more, i would have gotten them.

i checked, and the big star is up for as much as $200 on ebay right now.  it
really is irritating to see people ebay this stuff (when fans who really want
it get left out).  but i'm not sure there's any cure for that.  the one copy
per customer policy is probably as good as anyone can do.

it was my first RSD, and i loved it.  something to look forward to next year.

we're about to open our big star, and see if it's a golden ticket.

semi-related -- didn't the list member who is working on the laughner series
for smog veil say at one point it would be issued on RSD?  that obviously
didn't happen.  wondering if there is an update.