Re: (TV) usb / turntable / tech follow-up question(s)

On Apr 24, 2011, at 10:15 AM, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> is running cable from the receiver's RCA jacks (red and white, i think?)
> preferable to just running a cable from the receiver's headphone jack?

Yes. Sometimes there's an impedance difference, but even when there isn't, there's a line level difference, and there's certainly less in the signal path.

> also -- our receiver doesn't have a built-in pre-amp, so we have some sort of
> external pre-amp between the turntable and receiver.  i'm assuming this won't
> make any difference in what i'm doing?

It shouldn't, but you do need the preamplifier to bring the turntable signal up to line level and to eq thesignal according to the RIAA curve. (Highs are way hyped on the vinyl itself; the preamp attenuates them, along with surface noise).

http://mauricerickard.com | http://onezeromusic.com | http://yoctonaut.com/
Sent via RFC1149