Re: (TV) Re: The Waterboys

Further to what the others have written...

Mike Scott (leader of the Waterboys) was heavily influenced by Patti Smith
from 1975 on; worshipped her, I'd say. No doubt he also admired Marquee
Moon and Verlaine. Jay Dee Daugherty played and recorded with the
Waterboys; he was probably the main contact to bring Tom along.

While in recent years Tom seems to have very little interest in
contemporary music, back in the 70s and 80s he was very much tuned in to
what was happening and being recorded. He must have noticed how good the
Waterboys were -- they were one of the few bands who could reach the epic
level.

I'm guessing there were variousB other ways in which Scott felt a kinship
with Verlaine -- admiration of Bob Dylan, not being stuck in any genre,
interest in Scottish and Irish traditional music (and Fairport Convention
too, I'll wager), etc.

--JoeT