Re: (TV) Richard Lloyd's Facebook Comments on The New Television Track

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 7:40 AM, postitnote <postitnote@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I think you make a good point there Graham in regards to Richard's
> comments.
>
> And since all this stuff (Television/Tom) is newer to me...I have a hard
> time
> sometimes getting my head wrapped around how long ago most of it actually
> came
> out.  For instance, I just got Tom's 'Warm and Cool' CD and it's the RYKO
> one
> and I look on the back that it came out back in '92. I know that but I have
> stop and think about that. And the whole artwork and music evokes an even
> earlier time period...the cover looks like stg from the 50's.  That may
> have
> added appeal to me though, that Tom is very 'retro'...I just like that.

He seems to have drifted toward that aesthetic more and more starting with
the third Television LP... up through The Wonder he made greater or lesser
concessions to then-current production trends and guitar sounds, but
starting with Television 3 and especially Warm & Cool he went for a more
Link Wray/'50s/'60s surf tone and more and more... I dunno, "honest" or
"retro" (maybe even pre-rock?) guitar tones and recording approaches.  It
makes "Songs & Other Things", which I think is just sonically terrific for
the most part, sound a lot more "timeless" than, say, "Cover", or even
"Flash Light"... I love "Flash Light" a lot, but imagine those songs
recorded like "Songs"... nobody could dismiss THAT pretend record as
"dated".