Re: (TV) Richard speaks on FB/Billy's drumming

I just listened to the Neon Boys tracks and-given that Billy isn't exactly at the height of his instrumental powers here (neither is Tom) and the only part of his playing that I can hear clearly is his cymbal work, which itself might be indicative of what he was going for-it doesn't sound like he's playing a solid rock backbeat at all.

On 6/12/2011 5:40 PM, Graham Urquhart wrote:
Doesn't make much sense to me either. Billy has always been a jazz drummer hasn't he?

Graham

On 12/06/2011 14:09, postitnote wrote:
Well, this speaks to what I was asking about earlier...what Richard meant when he stated that he had to defend Billy Ficca for the last 35 yrs. But this doesn't make alot of sense to me. Richard says that Tom didn't care for his "jazz-crap" style of playing. But Tom has a love for jazz and wasn't Billy playing in a jazz band already when they urged him to come to NY and join them? So Tom would have already been familiar w/ his jazz-style of playing, no? It's hard to imagine that Tom wanted more of a rock-style drummer when
Billy's drumming seems to go so well w/ the music.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

--- On Sat, 6/11/11, Phil Obbard<pobbard@yahoo.com>  wrote:

From: Phil Obbard<pobbard@yahoo.com>
Subject: (TV) Richard speaks on FB
Date: Saturday, June 11, 2011, 5:45 PM

Lots of interesting TV history coming from Richard in a Facebook thread on his
wall ostensibly about Malcolm McLaren.

For example:

"It was myself who decided to tell Terry Ork to speak to Richard Meyers about
my
interest in forming a band with him. Hell (Meyers) worked at the movie poster shop Cinemabilia where Tom would come by to have lunch with Hell. They were
best
friends, and had done the "Neon Boys" three song single a year before. Tom and Richard came down to visit me at my home, in the front room of Terry's loft
and
I pitched it. We passed my guitar between myself and Tom and then Richard
(Hell)
and Tom went near the door and whispered about it. They came back and Tom said yes. But Hell didn't want to play bass, especially with Tom, because Tom acted
like a dictator, and Richard said that he didn't want to go through THAT
again.
I talked Hell into trying it, and then Tom and I talked about drummers and Tom invited Billy Ficca from Boston and let him stay at Tom's Lower east-side apt. The first week of rehearsals Tom took me aside and was frustrated at Billy's
Jazz crap, and he said that he couldn't understand what happened to Bill
because
he used to be such a steady rock drummer, and he wanted to kick him out. I talked Tom out of it although a couple months later when Billy went to visit
his
dad in Delaware we auditioned other drummers. I fought for Bill for 35 years. And now since I quit in 2004, and the contract calls for three members to use the name, he HAS to use Bill and Fred to continue under the name Television, replacing me with his pal Ripp. Otherwise we would sue. Tom and hell each
wrote
songs and I was in the middle and sang 2 gs, "Hot Dog and "What I heard". -
Tom
sang 4 and Richard sang 4, and Tom was "musical director", but Hell did ALL
the
Posters, and I kept the whole shebang from falling apart. And when we started playing CBGB's, Terry and I booked it for 2 and a half years. Chew on THAT.
Now
that I have officially quit, I can speak the truth, because when we were still together I didn't want to contradict Tom for the band's sake. Now we are older and I can speak freely. Not with regret or remorse, but facts and the truth
behind the scenes."

More (including Marty Thau?!)
at: http://www.facebook.com/richard.lloyd1/posts/167633229967890

--Phil