Re: Full of it / RE: (TV) Sour Grapes / Alternate Ver of Television's Founding?

On 7/24/2011 7:23 PM, Rex Broome wrote:
Well, I expected to step in it with a few RL partisans, but I never thought
I would piss off any Tom fans!  So I should probably clear up my position
here.

Tom is my favorite guitarist ever, full stop, no holds barred.  Part of that
is *because* of his distinctive original signature sound.  Most of my other
favorites have something similar going on, and most, like Tom, are also
songwriters.  Richard would clock in in the top 20, but the top 10 would be
too full of Richard Thompsons and Neil Youngs and Bob Moulds and Jim
McGuinns to allow for even the most exciting "sideman" (which Richard
probably is) to crack the top 10.

Tom's also one of my favorite songwriters and lyricists.  I don't think
he'll ever get enough credit in that area.

I think you're right about the difference between Tom and Richard. I think it's like the difference between Lennon and McCartney. If you asked John to make a disco record, he'd have come up with "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" and if you asked Paul, he'd come up with "Goodnight Tonight." One is a John Lennon record that he gave a disco arrangement to and the other is a disco record as done by Paul McCartney.

One thing I noticed that goes against what I said earlier about Tom not being a blues-rock player is that he does a nice Jeff Beck (Yardbirds era) impression in Foxhole. I don't think he made a habit of it, though.