Re: (TV) Mary Maria

mary maria (real name mary parks) was a name that would have been familiar to
anyone with much interest in ayler (such as verlaine).  beyond being ayler's
girlfriend, she was his collaborator.  in fact, she is given most of the
songwriting credit for his last two albums, "music is the healing force of the
universe" and "the last album" -- sole songwriting credit for most of the
numbers, and co-credit for a few (with other musicians involved).  the odd
thing is, ayler doesn't take ANY songwriting credit for these albums.  these
two albums were taken from a single session period.

"the last album" was finally issued on CD, by impulse, just this year.  it had
been impossible to get before -- just one very rare japanese CD issue years
ago, long out of print.  the reissue is a "two-fer" paired on a single disc
with the earlier "love cry".  "love cry" is a beautiful album (if you like
this kind of thing).  the mary maria albums are considered more of a low point
for ayler.

there is a little bit of video that exists of ayler with mary parks, in an
airport.  and of course she is very prominent -- for better or worse -- on his
last three albums, and i think also on the "foundation maeght" releases.  she
has also just fairly recently talked for the first time about the
circumstances that preceeded his death.

i am still hoping for a good english-language ayler biography some day...