(TV) Tom talk

I was going over the offerings at this year's Experience Music Project Pop Conference, which is taking place at NYU on March 22-25 (a friend is going to be on a roundtable) when I noticed this talk as part of a panel on "Warhol's New York" on Saturday, March 24: http://tinyurl.com/7qxeefx. Heck, I'll just quote the page:

"Bryan Waterman
"Bryan Waterman teaches English at New York University. His books include (with Cyrus Patell) The Cambridge Companion to the Literature of New York (2010) and Televisionbs Marquee Moon (Continuum, 33 1/3, 2011). He is at work on another book about CBGBbs early years.

"Abstract:

" ""It's Too 'Too Too' to Put a Finger On": Tom Verlaine's Lost Lisp and the Secret History of the New York Underground"

"Prior to releasing any of his songs on record, Television frontman Tom
Verlaine had elicited frequent comparisons to Lou Reed, with one critic
even speculating that Verlaine had been bseverely traumatizedb by Reed
at a young age. Reed in his turn had, with the Velvet Underground and
his first few solo records, honed a vocal style that combined the flat
affect of Dylanbs semi-spoken word with the campy sneer of Andy Warholbs drag queen entourage. That drag queen sneer, which also manifested
itself in the vocals of David Bowie and Iggy Pop, had been an integral
part of the experimental theater and film scenebs aural landscape. For a time it served as the default style of the New York music underground,
too, cropping up in live recordings by the New York Dolls, Patti Smith,
Mumps, and Wayne County, among others.

"Verlainebs genealogical descent from Reed, though less apparent on
Televisionbs albums, made a certain amount of sense as a new scene at
CBGB and other downtown venues, some of them doubling as drag revues,
struggled to define itself amid glitterbs slow demise. By the time
Television came to record its debut album, Verlaine had softened the
sneer, in what I argue was both a deliberate decision to distance his
band from a crowd he considered too camp and also as part of a broader,
though not always conscious, cultural project to disentangle punk from
its own queer b and Warholian b contexts."

The conference is open to the public, and registration is free; info is at http://www.empmuseum.org/education/index.asp?categoryID=26. From the titles of a lot of the programs and talks, I worry that it may be pretty academic in tone; still, I'll probably check out some of it.

- Jesse