(TV) Adventure & Some Arithmetic

Dennis wrote:
> I never heard of the groove cramming as the reason that Adventure was left

> off the album Adventure. I was told they just were not happy with the way
> it turned out.,

I'm pretty sure you are correct.

OTOH, I do remember an interview (can't remember which one of the million
I've read over the years) in which Verlaine says Adventure was left off
because of lack of room.  My understanding was/is that Verlaine gave that
answer to the interviewer even though Verlaine knew it wasn t the real
reason .....  which I suspect was they ran out of time/$ with Elektra and
couldn 't complete a finished version of the song Adventure (which fits
nicely with Philip's assertion that the song is not a finished track on the
2003 remaster/re-issue) or alternatively, as Dennis said, they weren't
totally satisfied with the version they had.

A little more on why I doubt the reason for its omission was
groove-cramming:  Side 1 of the LP of Adventure is only 19:35; Side 2 is
only 17:25.  Yet Side 1 of MM is 22:37! and Side 2 is 23:02!.  If
groove-cramming was allegedly a problem on the LP Adventure then why didn't
groove-cramming cause a song to be removed from MM (or even 1 song from each
side of MM?!!?)?

Moreover, if you add the length of the song Adventure (5:38) to Side 2 of
the LP you get 17:25 + 5:38 = 23:03 which is almost the same length as Side
2 of MM.

Leo

PS:  All LP song lengths taken from The Wonder.