(TV) Here's a Very high Quality Vinyl-to-Digital-transfer of the 'MM' fade-out Version

Rex Broome wrote:
>We really need someone to do a good (preferably great) vinyl
>rip of it as a >community service!

In June of 2011, Television-Group member, Joe Kingman, uploaded
to MegaUpload.com vinyl-to-digital-transfers of the 'fades-out
version' of the song 'Marquee Moon'.

Namely: 'Marquee Moon' (stereo, 9:55.0 just song-length;
9:58 track length), and 'Marquee Moon' (mono, 9:55.0
just song-length; 9:58 track length), both from the 45 r.p.m.
12-inch-single, UK, Elektra K 12252, 1977, Special Limited
Edition.  I saved Kingman's files to my PC's hard drive.
I just uploaded them to SendSpace. (The links are at the very
bottom of this email; scroll way down!) The complete 'fades-out
version' (which Kingman's is) repeats the words:
I remember
how the darkness doubled
I recall
lightning struck itself.
I was listening
listening [ENDS]

{BUT you need to have headphones on, or crank-up your speakers
to be able to hear the final:
I was listening
listening

NOTE:  I used TotalRecorder's elapsed running times together
with its 'spectrum-graph/amplitude' full-viewing mode to
painstakingly measure the song-length of each track to within
a tenth of a second.  The song-length is not the length of
the track.  The word 'song-length' is used to denote the exact
length of just the song itself; i.e., it does not include the
lead-in silence and lead-out silence on the track containing
the song.

These Kingman vinyl-to-digital-transfers of the 'fades-out
Version' of 'Marquee Moon' are superior to those on the bootleg
cd-r, "'Television  Singles': Volume 0, Volume 1, And Volume 2"
because of the equipment and software used in the Kingman version.
The following is from the .txt file that accompanied what I
downloaded from Kingman's MegaUpload.com account: "Transfered by
'Sgt. Weatherman' using a Sony PS-T22 turntable, a Grado-Black
cartridge/stylus, an Aiwa A60 amplifier, and an ASUS Xonar DS
Audio Soundcard connected to PC.  Recorded/hand edited with
Wavlab 6. Channel balanced and 'de-clicked' using Wave Corrector
Pro and iZotope RX2.  Converted to FLAC (Level 8) with Trader's
Little Helper.".
(The Joe Kingman vinyl-to-digital-transfers are 96,000 samples
per sec., and each sample is 24 bits.)

Of course, if the turntable was not going at exactly 45.000 r.p.m.
the song-length of the transfer will be off. To check Kingman's, I
played my copy of the 12-inch-single, UK, Elektra K 12252,1977,
Special Limited Edition on my Thorens 166 MK II with a digital
stopwatch and got the same song-lengths as Kingman/Sgt. Weatherman
to within two tenths of a second.  9:55.2 vs. 9:55.0 , or 595.2 sec.
vs 595.0 sec. 595.2/595.0 = 1.00034, or his turntable was 0.034% too
fast (or mine too slow). This is a speed error not worth worrying
about.

In addition to somewhat inferior sound quality, the same two songs
(i.e., the fades-out version of the song 'Marquee Moon') on Vol. 1
of "'Television  Singles': Volume 0, Volume 1, And Volume 2"
[hereafter referred to as 'Television Singles'], had
vinyl-to-digital-transfers that I determined were not performed carefully:
'Marquee Moon' (stereo, just song-length: 9:54.0 = 5.2 - 9:59.2;
10:00.9 track length), and 'Marquee Moon' (mono, just song-length:
9:49.8 = 2.6 - 9:51.4; 9:53.5 track length) again from the 45 r.p.m.
12-inch-single, UK, Elektra K 12252, 1977, Special Limited Edition.

The 'Television Singles' stereo version is missing 1 second of the
song's fade-out ending:
I remember
how the darkness doubled
I recall
lightning struck itself.
I was listening
Lis_ _ _ _ _ _ [ENDS]

The 'Television Singles' mono version is missing 5.2 seconds! of
the song's fade-out ending:
I remember
how the darkness doubled
I recall
lightning struck itself.
_  _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  [ENDS]

Summary of the Results:
The 'fades-out version' of 'Marquee Moon' has a song-length of 9:55.0.
If you can't hear the faint words "I was listening, listening",
then you DON'T own the complete 'fades-out version'. The 'Television
Singles: Vol. 1' version is inferior and incomplete.

Also: Any lengths of a song given by the Record/cd companies (e.g.,
Elektra) on the vinyl's circular paper-label (or cd's label), or in
any liner notes that occur on the vinyl's (or cd's) sleeve have always
been notoriously inaccurate since the 1970s to the present.

The entire 'fades-out ending' itself, begins at 9:16.2 and lasts 38.8
seconds. The verse contained in this fade-out begins at 9:36. The
actual dramatic final decrease in the song's volume (i.e., the
actual fading-out) begins at 9:42 and lasts 13 seconds.

You can successfully upload a file called Television Marquee Moon
(Stereo).flac (203.9 MB) at Sendspace.

Use the following link to retrieve your file:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ll84ce

You can successfully upload a file called Television Marquee Moon
(Mono).flac (100.9 MB) at Sendspace.

Use the following link to retrieve your file:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5gynn

If you have any trouble with these FLAC files
(they tested fine on my 'FLAC Frontend' application)
I can Upload the Wav versions.