Re: (TV) Verlaine/Lloyd #7

Interesting how Rolling Stone's top 100 guitarists list places Tom Verlaine &
Thurston Moore near the end of their list,
way down in the 90s, while Spin
places those two way up in the top 10 instead, as if to say partly & loudly:
"Hey, we're SPIN, not
RS!" But I suppose it's nice to see those two so
prominent on such a list, & I like the idea Spin came up with

of listing
Verlaine & Lloyd together as a pair, & Thurston & Lee Renaldo as a pair.

The
first "100 Greatest Guitarists" list citing Verlaine I ever saw was a special
edition of Trouser Press I bought in '78.
It was Trouser Press's short write
up on Verlaine there (an article since lost), plus having read a '78 interview
with Bruce Cockburn citing Tom Verlaine as his favourite songwriter, that
first  prompted me to check out the Television albums
back then, & I've been a
fan ever since.

I think I prefer what Trouser Press did with their  "100
Greatest"  list.
They chose 100 guitarists but didn't rank them in any order,
instead listing them alphabetically. That seems fairer somehow.
Ranking's
guaranteed to provoke  lots of negative reactions in many readers (e.g. "What,
they rank "x" 50 places above "y"?

They can't be serious!"). It's probably
better to pick them, not rank them.
Then the only fights will be over who got
included & who got left off the list!