 De: leif joley
<leifjoley@hotmail.com>
Para: tv@obbard.com
Enviado: jueves, 7 de junio de
2012 18:55
Asunto: (TV) Verlaine on "Banga"

Nobody on the list noticed that
Patti Smith's new album was released last
Monday? Wary after "Trampin'" and
the covers record, I've only listened to it
on Spotify yet; thus I haven't
read the liner notes so I don't know if
Verlaine is featured on any other
track than the single "April Fool". He may
be, although I'm not sure about it.
After repeated listenings, it seems to be
a solid Patti Smith disc, complete
with thoughts about sins and Jesus and such
that she's been obsessed with
since "Horses". Pretty much has been written
about tracks about Johnny Depp
and Amy Winehouse, but more interesting may be
the nods to Russian culture, to
authors Bulgakov and Gogol and filmmaker
Tarkovsky. At least for me who's
married to a Moscuvite.

Anyway -- the guitar playing on "April Fool" is, at
least to my ears, proof
that Verlaine hasn't lost the ability to make a decent
effort if he's told to
and paid to. The picking through the song is thoroughly
enjoyable. If the
volume nob soloing isn't really taking off and going into
orgasm territory,
it's nonetheless classic, trademark Verlaine.

Leif J,
Sweden