(TV) Problem With Vol Levels / Solution(s)?

I am sending this technical question to the this List as well as the
Television-Group List because there has been so little activity on the
latter List I didn't think I'd receive any response (albeit I might not
receive any response here either as everyone is probably away on vacation).

My Technical Q regards 'The Big One' (just remember I'm not criticizing 'The
Big One', itself, I'm Just trying to understand how to get the best quality
when I burn cd-r copies of the shows from it).

I have discovered that for several shows after I make a copy of the FLAC or
wav files, the volume levels are way too high.  E.g., when I listen to the
wav files with Total Recorder or other applications before burning the show
to a cd-r, the playback VU meters are way, way up in the red .

The audio itself of these shows does not appear to be distorted, but when
they are played back at even moderate levels the volume levels are
dangerously high (i.e., would totally fry my hi fi's speakers or/and my
ears.)  Moreover, when I use Nero to burn a copy of these particular shows
the resultant cd-r is also dangerously high in volume. It does no good to
use the Normization of Vol. button in Nero because ALL the files on these
shows are too high/loud, not just one or two.

The shows on The Big One that I am referring to are:
1) Oct. 8, 1981, The Ritz, NYC; 2) May 24, 2003, Primavera Festival,
Barcelona, Spain; and   3) Oct. 9, 1981; The East Side Club, Philadelphia;
(there could be more but these are the ones I have discovered so far; the
3rd one may not have been on The Big One.)

My Questions:  a) Has any one else noticed this?; and b) more importantly:
I have both CD-ex and Audacity.  Is there an easy way to change the volume
levels of a copy of the original FLAC/wav files so that when I burn a cd-r
copy I don't get a copy that is virtually unplayable unless I keep my hi fi
(or car's) amplifier's volume control to a whisper?  C) Or is there another
freeware application that could do what I need better than CD-ex or
Audacity?

Leo

PS: Note that I am not talking about The Big One shows  such as April 16,
2001, Vicar Street, Dublin, Ireland, or March 17, 1987, The Bierkeller,
Bristol, England  or June 21, 2001, The EMP (Experience Music Project),
Seattle, Washington  which are all notoriously known to have been originally
recorded at too high a level by the tapers.

PPS: I am still planning on sending lots of interesting[?] info on the 20
longest live versions of 'M M', but recently I have been away on vacation; I
hope to send that post by end of the weekend.