(TV) TV last night ( warning : long post )

last night i finally got to see Television ...and it was even better than i
tought it would be !
after a long trip ,my two brothers ,my gf ,a friend and
i arrived pretty early to the venue ,it `s a really nice place ,i think it
holds about a thousand people ,perhaps more,and it was pretty full ,we were
front row ,just a tad to the left ,right in line with Tom`s amp ...
it
surprised me to hear the bells recording at the intro ,just like in Tom's
eigthies tours ,the crowd went nuts when the courtains opened , singing and
shouting endlessly ,and really pissing me off ...

the band seemed to me in
high spirits ,Tom smiling shyly and seeming amused by the people reaction
...it feels 100% Television ,as oposed to being Tom`s band ...i saw every
aspect of the band magnified and enriched ...Fred anchoring the band solidly
,with groove ,timing and delivering all the classic arrangments fluidly ...
Billy played a lot the side of the floor tom and answering every guitar
excursion with enigmatic fills ...
Jimmy duplicated all of Richard`s signature
lines easily ,and took solos in "1880" ,"psychotic reaction" and even the
Lloyd one in "m.moon " note for note ,the new stuff was all very busy two
guitars stuff ,being local , Jimmy asked the people to sing the chorus in the
new one "shabby chubby chunka "(????)  ,but he fucked it somehow ,singing in
the wrong places ,you have to see Fred faces ...that was a really odd tune
 ,the other new one came out a lot better ,it has a dueling guitars thing
going on ,pretty cool ...
from the start Tom played at the top of his game ,he
is in total control of his instrument ,and his level of emotion ,expresiveness
i think is something very few musicians can achieve ,Coltrane ,Miles ,the
electric Richard Thompson came to mind ...his solos were fully formed
,song-like ,not meandaring nonstop playing ,i think he only played a wrong
note in " Glory " ,the rest was precise and engaging ,by the way he looked
pretty engaged too ...the slide in "persia " was no bullshit ,easterny
micro-tonalism ...
the combination of the sitar like phrasing ,with the
cello-like vibrato and the sheer electricity of his Danelectro pickups trough
the AC-30 Vox was EXPLOSIVE ...even when he ventured in weird noises beyond
notes ,he came back with total musical sense ..he did ALL his moves ,the
swelling notes ,the high harmonics ,i especially liked when he sustained an
open string against fretted ones (sorry for the guitar nerd-ism ) with total
control ,i swear he played better than on records ,and really focused ...
he
singed mostly in an a low volume with much of his weird ,odd moments ,and
improvised lyrics ... he was making funny faces almost like a little child ..
he only used a pedal ,besides the tuner, a distortion unit made here for Jimmy
by Sabbadius FX ,only to boost solos a little ...
Rip used his usual rig ,the
blonde strat trough the Singletone head and cabinet ,i only heared a effect in
"persia" ,an eerie slapback delay ,he broke his treble E string during that
Fred bass is a miss-matched parts Fender ,not so great looking...

the
setlist :
1-intro-prove it
2-1880 or so
3-the fire
4-glory
5-ljj
6-shabby
chubby chunka (????)
7-persia
8-venus
9-a new one ???????
10-the sea
11-marquee moon
12-psychotic reaction (encore )

the ending was somehow
chaotic and akward ,after "psychotic r " ,jimmy was trying to convince Tom to
do "Satisfaction" ,but he didn`t want to play no more ,so he reached for the
bass amp and and sunk every knob to zero with a single stroke ,i think it was
an unnecessary gesture ,he retired to the side of the stage colliding with
Billy ,who was coming to the front to do a formal good bye to the audience
,somehow Fred got caught in the middle of that ,with his bass still around
 his neck ... finally Billy got to the mike and said a few words ,visibly
touched ...the courtains closed but the people can`t leave ,hopelessly yelling
for another ...
as you can see it was a big deal to me ,goose bumps ,teary
eyes and all ....

we took a lot of photos ,and more important ,recorded it
all ! ...i`ll let you know when i`ll have it ready for you guys !

AMILCAR
AMARANTE
http://temper.bandcamp.com