(TV) another interview

Well, this one didn't cope so well with the translation. Tom, now, apparently plays the viola ... lol

Glenn C.

http://www.revistaenie.clarin.com/escenarios/Entrevista-Tom-Verlaine_0_904709570.html

Towards the end of the 1990s, Patti Smith - recently celebrated in Argentina by confession fan of father Francisco after meeting him at a hearing in the Plaza of San Pedro - put you words interpretive style of Tom Verlaine, honcho television and once his boyfriend (this took part in the first two albums of the singer-songwriter bucolic, in addition to having signed next to it the book of poetry The Night), through the following sentence: "When he plays viola, seems that a thousand of blue birds were shouting". That happened while the American architect took forward a piece dedicated to the films both his country and Europe, called Music & Film, later redefined next to his partner in the band, Jimmy Rip, titled Music for Experimental Film (2007), showing its status as musical icon of the avant-garde. While history is persisted in not giving the reason.

While in 2003, Rolling Stone ranked Tom Verlaine in post 56 in its list of the 100 best guitarists of all time, in the inventory of 2011 even it appeared. And there is no better metaphor that is to represent the career of an artist who has been discussed between become in charge of his terrible invention or deny it until the consummation with any traces that it binds together her. On the other side of the computer, from New York, is the leader of Television. Connects via Skype, to talk about the debut of his band in Buenos Aires, April 23 at the Vorterix Theatre, but prefer not to turn on the camera. Apologize for the delay, as it has just been lifted. Perhaps that is the reason why feels the ambivalence in its humor. "Never asked me what it was like to make rock at my age. Nor do I consider myself an artist of the stick", says the author of 63 years. "Invented me a cult musician image or something so that I do not agree. I am nothing more than a worker do you understand? "."

The story is as well. In 1977, after having recorded a demo produced by Brian Eno, who bore no fruit, followed by the simple Little Johnny Jewel (1975), appeared for sale Marquee Moon, the first album by Television, which earned him the band of pioneering punk label, therefore, in addition to registering the rawness and the minimalism of the tandem of guitars made by Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloydthe Quartet outlined his musical countenance after transforming the legendary CBGB in his base of operations. "It was a training camp, it was great. There could show your mistakes against the audience,"recalls the artist born in New Jersey with the name of Thomas Miller. "When we started playing there, we knew that it was a horrible place. We were around three years acting until suddenly our bassist, Richard Hell, before the popularity that we had and their desire to be famous, decided to leave us, what found me super, because we could replace it with a musician akin to what I wanted to do: Fred Smith. That we polished".

Although he was part of the seminal New York punk generation, which also was The Ramones or Talking Heads, Television was the freaky of the troupe since its sound feast aimed towards the experimentation of the art rock and offered a lavish prose, but, at the same time, he argued the outburst of punk. Just listen 10 minutes and 40 seconds of the subject (average 9:54 in the vinyl) that gives title to the premihre of the combined LP to understand the back of that sound. "Years passed, and people still believe that we are a group of punk or something as well," explains Verlaine, become weary. "We have nothing to do with that." The funny thing is that, as happened to bands such as Blondie and Pixies, the Quartet, in which drummer figure Billy Fica, success found him not in United States, where his opera prima (the cover is illustrated with a photo of Robert Mapplethorpe) was a commercial failure, but in England, any iconoclastic proposal that received with joy and country in which punk had exploded in 1977.

The following year, Television released their second album, Adventures, which, even though it is a little more devious than his predecessor, was equally effective in the United Kingdom. However, differences in artistic prospects for its members, along with Lloyd drug abuse, resulted in the separation of the group. But in 1992, the set returned to punts with a self-titled work that went unnoticed, but which has strengthened the cult by the Quartet. While in 2001, Verlaine and CIA met to participate in the festival All Tomorrow's Parties in England, the relaunch of Marquee Moon in 2003, on CD, and it includes alternate versions of the songs on the LP, an instrumental and Little Johnny Jewel, provoked the rereading of the legacy of the group in times of indie. "Was a joke when I said that all those bands that s"