Re: (TV) "the fire " video/

That's an interesting & informative quote from Tom re. Tom's lyrical &
instrumental "angst classic", "The Fire",  Deb found at Keith's site & posted,
one I'd not seen  before. I never could figure out what the album credit to
Tom for playing "switchblade guitars" might mean  till reading this
explanation from Tom. I recall reading a different interview where Tom also
mentioned the unusual  ondioline keyboard used on The Fire where he said you
could bend notes on it, as you'd bend notes on a guitar, by shaking a key. But
when I saw the recent video of Rip playing that same part on slide, not on the
ondioline, I'd quite forgotten the original recording had used that exotic
keyboard. Rip deserves extra credit for convincingly recreating that keyboard
sound on slide strat!

Thanks to those knowledgeable in guitar lore here who
answered the question I posed re. when Tom might have abandoned Jazzmasters &
Jaguars in favour of strats.
I didn't know he'd almost completely switched
over a long while back, mid-'90s I think Amilcar said.  Dennis mentioned
something Id also read in an interview, about Tom saying he originally bought
a Jazzmaster 'cause of  "economics", as they were about the cheapest Fenders
one could buy in the mid-'70s. Tom also said the Jazzmaster became "part of
the sound" of the band.  So, I guess he liked that sound enough to keep it
going a long while. I see Thurston, who started playing the Jazzmaster decades
ago presumably after first seeing & hearing Tom play one, still favours the
Jazzmaster today, long after Tom abandoned it. There must a whole lot of
Jazzmaster & Jaguar players out there today whose use of them derives partly
or wholly, directly or indirectly, from Tom having made those once unloved,
unpopular guitars semi-famous. Except Tom doesn't play them anymore!

-Bob