(TV) My Revised 'Review' of Nov. 7 Athens, Georgia Recording

I wrote:

>I will be posting my comments this later afternoon ... .to both Lists.

>I don't know if you've listened to 'Torn Curtain' or most of the

>other tracks from the DIME recording of their Nov. 7 Athens, Georgia

>show or not, but I thought the show was quite good.

I was busy raking and bagging millions of fallen leaves, but I finally got
around to listening more carefully to the recording of Nov. 7 on a good
hi-fi and played back loud.

I was wrong in my previous assessment.  Although the audio quality of the
recording itself is stellar, I am very disappointed in the band's
(especially Verlaine's) performance.

T.V's vocals seem mailed-in, and his guitar playing is uninspiring.  This
probably his most half-hearted/worst playing on 'Marquee Moon' that I have
ever heard.  It's almost embarrassing.  'Torn Curtain' was a big
disappointment: no rave-up, go-crazy ending solo (like on the album), it
just peters out at the end!

IMHO:

Swells/Venus: B to B+

Elevation: B [liked the repeated changed lyric: "*Television* don't go to my
head.".)

1880 Or So: B- [miss Lloyd]

LJJ: C

Glory: A-

See No Evil: B to B-

Torn Curtain: C- ["Torn Curtain feels more like a rake.".]

Prove It: A-

Persia: A+

Guiding Light: B+ to B

Marquee Moon: D-

I'm Gonna Find You: A- [could be the only existing Verlaine song ever in
which he plays the Blues!??]

Psychotic Reaction: C-  [Ho hum]

a piece of 'L'Etoile de Mer (The Star Of The Sea)'[??] from Music For Film
(tacked onto the end of  Psychotic Reaction): A+

Overall Grade: C

Audio Quality: A