      From: Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net>
 To: tv@obbard.com
 Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:25 PM
 Subject: Maybe I Didn't Ask MY Q Clearly / RE: (TV) Q: Specific Error Mess
age If Try To Copy Files Off-of a DVD

Maurice wrote
> The DVD standard (as I understand it) is designed to prevent simple
file->level copying,..

Maurice, Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly enough.

In the past, I have received DVDs made e.g., by people on this List. If I
place any one of those DVDs in my PC's D:\ (or E:\ drive) tray. And then
Open my Computer/File Manager, I can see the D:\ drive on my PC's screen,
and when I single click it to Open it, I can see all of the DVD's files:
VIDEO_TS_BUP, etc., VTS_01_0.IFO, etc.,  and VTS_01_1.VOB, etc..

If I highlight them and do a simple Copy and Paste to an aptly named Folder
on my hard drive, I can then using, say NERO, burn these files to a blank
dvd-r. (I have even been able to successfully do this with some Hollywood
movie DVDs from my public library, e.g., John Huston's "Wise Blood" (The
Criterion Collection).

However, when I try this same simple copying of files with other movie DVDs
from my public Library (or purchased on E-bay), I get the Error MESSAGE I
detailed in my previous e-mail (See below for its exact words.)

I assumed that I get this message because these movie DVDs have files that
are copywright encrypted.  (Or could the message be caused for a diffe
rent
reason unrelated to encryption?)

Also, wouldn't HandBrake (or similar software) fail when a DVD's files are
encrypted/protected? If so, is there some other free special software that
can "beat" such encryption?

Leo