Re: (TV) Verlaine in Portland Oregon

>On the one hand, he is.  I can't imagine that he needs to borrow from
>Lou.  On the other hand, he's got a pretty encyclopedic knowledge of
>music that he draws on, and the VU must be in there.  "Countess" is
>a pretty obscure track; it could be coincidence.

    Check out track 9 "Beautiful Way" from Beck's new CD. Don't get me
wrong,
I like this new CD of his quite a bit. I actually think it's his best. But
as soon
as I heard this track I was horrified, all I could think of was "Countess of
Hong
Kong". Hey, Luna's made an entire carrer of ripping off V.U. throwaway riffs
from
1969 Live. So if Beck wants to steal one song to one of our best bands, why
not.
I onlky wish he'd done what BOWIE (Hey Philip) had done when he did "Queen
Bitch" where
he thanked the V.U. for some White Light with thanks. At least that takes
away from
the sneakiness of it all. As far as him fooling the record company morons,
good for him.
It's about time. These guys have no passion or compassion for any artist or
band.
It's all about how much money can they make for us. If Beck's next 2 LP's
fail
they'd drop him without any guilt and just go on to the next guy. These days
most
bands or performers get one hit maybe 2 and then their careers are pretty
much over.
I can list about a dozen bands from 1995 to 1998 who were dropped from the
majors
because they had shot their wad on their first LP. Whatever happened to
artist
development? Now that the majors have hit the bottom of the vaults with
obscure tracks
that's after having the fans buy 5 different "Remastered from the REAL
master tapes this time",
the record companies have nothing left to sell. They didn't take the time to
develope
those artists that they signed and now no one's interested in the new music
that's out there.
Can you believe that Virgin has re-issued for the 2nd time, CD's of the
Rolling Stones
"Exile On Main St.", Sticky Fingers" and "Some Girls" with the original
artwork
and inserts. How lame is that? Did someone forget that they just did this
about
4 years ago, and supposedly those were from the original masters too. The
record
companies are dead and they know it. They're just groping at straws at this
point.
Can't say I feel sorry for them.Bye! M T C