Re: (TV) punk

don't have much time here, on my way to work...but some
quick thoughts:
the list obviously illustrates this guy's "punk"
predilections more than anything else (isn't that what these
lists are all about anyhow??: one's tastes/obsessions acting
as ciphers for identity hollers? (ie. look at me!)).
& i ain't gonna argue with his "taste"...i've owned or own
at least a third to half these records myself.
but what struck me as slightly disturbing was his not so
subtle prejudice against what he derogatorily perceives as
"art" punk/rock (& i ain't talking king crimson or faust,
etc. here).
he begrudgingly accepts the fall's 1st, marquee moon, blank
generation into the top 100, but it's a backhanded
gesture....he argues they don't really fit & he don't really
listen to em much, too arty, blah blah blah.
this wouldn't have really struck me much a coupla yrs ago
cos i woulda thought he was just an old OI! boy all grown up
but unable to shed his "roots"...
but even here in portland, oregon, on many levels of the
"punk" rock scene, you can find this pretty ridiculous
belief that if something's cerebral or poetic by nature, it
can't be true "punk" or "street" or "working class" or
(insert tired anti-intellectual street badge /handle here).
in all likelihood, i'm making more of this than needs
be...perhaps this is my very own "shout at the world" (which
would also include "fuck listmaking!")....but it's curious
that alot of the "new rock"/punk indie bands currently
tearing up (the west coast, at least) america are more often
than not; dead boys carbon copies....& either unaware or
dismissive of hell, verlaine, smith, pere ubu, et al...

& in the end, it's songwriting that saves the day.