Re: (TV) Great guitar albums

At 6:01 AM -0800 12/4/02, eric gregory wrote:
all further jody harris projects...

Ah, I was preparing my list, which included this statement: "The Raybeats' _Guitar Beat_ has much to recommend it--no-wave surf stylings of the underappreciated Jody Harris--and a young Danny Amis as well."

In addition to the usual suspects (Tom/extended TV family), some others come to mind:

Naked City's _Radio_ and some live boot .mp3s from the final performances in '93. Frisell just *explodes* in a way I never would have thought possible, given the character of his solo work.

John Zorn's _Filmworks I_ contains some blistering work by Quine, too.

Several songs off Polvo's _Today's Active Lifestyles_, almost all of _This Eclipse_, and "Rock Post Rock" and "El Rocio" from _Shapes_. By the time of _Celebrate the New Dark Age_ (which I'm *still* trying to find a copy of), they'd thoroughly digested their Sonic Youth worship and were speaking with their own voice.

Which brings us to... _Daydream Nation_ and _Evol_. The noise explosion in the middle of "Silver Rocket" right where the solo's supposed to be gets me every time.

Bitch Magnet's _Umber_ (which included David Grubbs when he could still bring the rock).

The first and third Don Caballero albums.

I'll second _Zuma_ and add _On the Beach_.

And in a different direction altogether, the Nick Drake box set.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/