From: Jerry Thackray
To: Careless Talk 6
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 12:33 AM
Subject: Careless Talk Costs Lives 6: out January 1, 2003

CARELESS TALK COSTS LIVES #6
illustrated music press                    issue 6
Available in all good local independent newsagents - and also Borders, Andy's
Records, Virgin, HMV, Rough Trade, FOPP, Selectadisc, university shops, etc -
from January 1st.

If you can't find it, please ASK - unlike some other recently launched,
corporate funded, crappy sound-bite music magazines we can't afford ANY sort
of a marketing budget whatsoever, let alone to plaster your local bus shelter
with dismal photos of gurning rock stars, so we're relying on word-of-mouth to
spread the news of Careless Talk. Please forward this email to as many message
boards, mailing lists, contacts and friends as you possibly can, and let them
know they should be able to buy Careless Talk ANYWHERE in the UK, from their
local independent newsagent (not WH Smith's right now, sorry, but can't afford
their fees). WE NEED TO SPREAD THE WORD!

Nick Cave cover
Limited edition of 1000 with Erase Errata on the cover

LIVE

06-07 BRIGHT EYES
What is Conor Oberst? Tortured artist? Method actor? Gaunt and tired and
trapped and hoist by his own pantomime?

08-09 THE DANIELSON FAMILE
It's great to know that love can win the day

49 ELECTRELANE
There's nothing efficient about tonight's alphabet soup of a set

53 LADYTRON/GOLD CHAINS
The computer climaxes, the cocker spaniel explodes, and we are hype-hype-hype
hyper

54 EL-P
Tonight is a lesson in the moment firebrand rhetoric becomes
self-congratulation

FEATURES

10-13 ERASE ERRATA
Let the mainstream fucking talk to themselves in their impotent, scared
voices. We have our own Outsider Art

14-17 CAT POWER
'My boyfriend kinda likes my feet. Really likes my feet'

18-23 NICK CAVE
'I find it increasingly difficult to find anything authentic out there'

38-39 GRAHAM COXON
'Either those three are completely mad, or I'm completely mad, and I just
don't know who is mad'

40-41 KID 606
'Glitch as a creative, artistic thing died a long time ago'

42-43 THE BLOOD BROTHERS
'It's never been our intention to be a big band'

44-45 GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR
'We've thrown up a couple of half-ass filters lately to keep the shit stream a
little less raging'

46-47 MANCHESTER PUNK
'There's definitely rivalry, but in a healthy way, tongue-in-cheek'

68-69 ELECTRIC SIX
'I just read hardcover books, drink wine and eat cheese'

70-71 NEW YORK REPORT
'Two British music journalists drunk in New York during the CMJ seminar? Who
would have thought it?'

CARELESS WHISPERS

27 PLEASANT DREAMS
Something about the pure Laserium Floyd nature of the arrangements conked us
both out at the 80th rising crescendo

28 PUNK: A COLUMN
Why the fuck should we care if major labels go bust and the cocaine orgy gets
the plug pulled?

29 WHY I HATE. TOM JONES
People judge Jones to be sexy, in the same way curry pot noodles are spicy

32 METAL: A COLUMN
There's something different about America that will make you feel lonelier
than any other country on earth

34 BOREDOMS
Real magic works with the simplest of tools

36 MATTHEW HERBERT
'I realised all the things I hate in the world that bring destruction and
negativity make noise as well'

37 CHIKINKI
This is what life after the mushroom cloud should be like

75 WAVE THE WHITE FLAG
I've lost my nerve. Maybe I've lost my passion

76-77 NOTES TOWARDS. A DEFINITION OF INDIE
St Sebastian was another one, looped around a tree like Jarvis Cocker in rural
mode

79 MOOZ
Mooz offer you a slice of uncertainty

81 ARI UP
'I always thought it was OK to shoplift from big stores, not from friends'

ALBUMS

55-67
Racebannon, Buck 65, Billy Childish, Camper Van Beethoven, Daniel Johnston,
Ludus, Kawabata Makoto, Mercury Tilt Switch, Ninetynine, Pavement, Razorcuts,
'Teutonik Disaster', Venetian Snares. plus a bonus hip-hop column and loads
more, all in a handy A-Z format

http://www.carelesstalkcostslives.com

contact: colin@carelesstalkcostslives.com