Re: (TV) spotted in ICE magazine - Flash Light re-issue (and a cover)

--- Joe Thornton <joe.thornton@gmx.net> wrote:
> But what about all those other Tom Verlaine masterpieces that are simply not
> available to ordinary people who might want to hear them and might purchase
> them? I'm thinking of There's A Reason, Penetration (studio version), Mary
> Marie, Dissolve/Reveal, Rotation, Pillow, Prayer, and so on.

Yeah. DREAMTIME was in print in the mid-90s, on the American Recordings label,
complete with two bonus tracks. As late as 1999 you could still buy copies new
from them. COVER and WORDS FROM THE FRONT also still appear to be in print,
albeit as pricey imports if you live in the US (and both CDs sound like really
crappy transfers). All things considered, it makes the most sense for
Collector's Choice to re-release FLASH LIGHT, as it's probably the least
'available' Verlaine solo CD, having been out-of-print since the late 1980s.

After FLASH LIGHT, THE WONDER is the 2nd hardest to find (which almost explains
the crazy prices it demands on Ebay).

> Maybe it could even include some unreleased/unfinished gems...

There are still plenty of Verlaine b-sides waiting to be collected on CD (most
from the aborted 1986 Fontana album, but also some throwaway "instrumental"
versions used for the b-sides of COVER's singles). One of the rarest - if not
*the* rarest - of the Verlaine CDs is the CD single for "Kaleidescopin'", which
has the only version of "Vanity Fair" available on CD.

--Philip