Re: (TV) Finally a TV comparison that holds some water?

In message <68a8ea5e050330095446f5c89a@mail.gmail.com>
   Rex Broome writes:
> Thesis:  from what I've heard so far, among the dozens of (good) new
> bands band being compared to Television (but usually actually owing
> more to Go4 or the Jam), Bloc Party might actually be worthy of the
> comparison.  Some nice twin guitar stuff.  Anyone heard the album yet?

All I've heard by them is the track "Helicopter", that appears on the
cover disc "Rule Britannia!: 40 Years of Great British Music" for the
April 2005 issue of Q.

On that, admittedly brief, exposure, I'd agree with you. Mind you, I
think, again based on just one track, a couple of the other new bands
on that disc are also worthy: Kaiser Chiefs, and The Departure.

PS A question for those of you who write/perform music... why is it
that people write tracks which contain oft-repeated phrases/refrains,
and then use some other phrase, which may not even be sung once, as
the title?

cf: Bloc Party's "Helicopter", and Kaiser Chiefs' "Caroline, Yes"

all the best,
--
 Michael J. Cross    Visit http://www.mjckeh.demon.co.uk for
 BSFA Magazine Index, Hull SF Group, J Cipollina & M Kurihara Discographies