Re: (TV) This Catholic thing. I don't get it.

Very amusing!

Emilie wrote:
I was raised Catholic.  I live in NYC, and am not quite a "rabid atheist."
If a gun were put to my head, I'd probably admit to Pascal's brand of
Jansenist faith.

Wonderful! Though I'm not sure that a NY mugger would be impressed...

Michael wrote:
further insight into the Irish Catholic experience, read Frank McCourt's
"Angela's Ashes," followed by a viewing of Ken Russel's "The Devils."

Aldous Huxley's original, "The Devils of Loudun" is really powerful, like the late Arthur Miller's "The Crucible".

For all of us raised English-speaking Catholics, Tom's words at the beginning of "Bomb" have a special resonance:
"Hail Mary, full of grace..."
That's the most common Catholic prayer. What a powerful song!

--Joe