(TV) TV's Former Opinion of Young's Playing /

In message <0351E411702FA84A966DD30E5519124B02631935@vntmail03.volpe.dot.gov>, "Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@Volpe.dot.gov> writes
I don't at all doubt what you say---it's just that I'd thought I'd read just about every one of his interviews ever written (except for the one in the April The Wire, which I ordered from UK a few days ago)--and I'd remember the very infrequent comments Tom would utter about Neil Young.

"BR: Do you listen to Neil Young a lot?
TV: People told me about Neil Young about five years ago. The only thing i knew was "Heart of Gold" so I started buying stuff, but I must have bought the wrong ones. Then I heard "Drive Back," this electric sort of stuff and then I knew what people were talking about - a certain spontaneous element---and I knew what people were comparing. It wasn't someone who learned a bunch of Chuck Berry, Jeff Beck, or Eric Clapton riffs."

(Boston Rock Magazine 1981)

"bEverybody says I sound like Neil Young. I donbt know. The first Neil Young record I listened to was bZumab. That song bCortezb is a great song. I like the lyrics bcos they capture something thatbs historically true. And subconsciously present. Hebs one of the few guitar players I like. I like Link Wraybs early guitar playing. I like Buchananbs work in the b50s on those Chess singles. I like Richard Thompsonbs tone. I donbt like his playing. I like that sparkly Fender sound. The Byrds got that same kind of sound. That whole kinda shiney sound.b

(NME 1978)