(TV) TV's Former Opinion of Young's Playing / Love's Influence / RE: (TV) The best American band from the '60s?

>I always thought Neil Young was an influence on Verlaine and Richard
>Thompson too.

IMHO, I doubt very much Young was an influence on Tom's guitar playing (Tom
never repeats himself, Neil does with every solo.  OOopps! Did I offend
anyone?  I tread harshly but I speak the truth.

Also---there there's a gigantic difference between a musician such as
Verlaine liking someone's music and having it impact his future playing.

Hearing and liking a musician is a necessary but Not sufficient condition to
have it actually influence one's playing.

But forget all that, what I really am curious about is when/where you
discovered/read :
> ..turns out that Verlaine disliked Young greatly until he heard
>"Cortez the killer" . Until then, he just didn't get why people liked
>Young.

I don't at all doubt what you say---it's just that I'd thought I'd read just
about every one of his interviews ever written (except for the one in the
April The Wire, which I ordered from UK a few days ago)--and I'd remember
the very infrequent comments  Tom would utter about Neil Young.

Leo

PS:  Not trying to be a smart-ass but exactly what is it in Love's and
Television's guitar playing that leads you to think Love was an influence?

I'll take my whipping now.