Re: We Need More MM Listers' Reviews! / RE: (TV) TV's Former Opinion of Young's Playing

On 5/11/06, Casey, Leo J <Leo.J.Casey@volpe.dot.gov> wrote:

> What's the point of having the MM List if members are too timid, too
> blaze,
> (too lazy[?] :>) to send in their thoughts and critiques (good or bad)?
> I realize everyone has busy lives.

I just got ahold of the discs last night thanks to a kind act of charity.
You'll see a review soon!  I listened to "Around" while cooking and eating
dinner with my kids.  They wanted to know all the song titles and what they
were "about".  That was cool.  The things that caught my ear the most were
not surprisingly the least W&C-like tracks.

Heard about 2/3 of SONGS in the background while giving the kids a bath.
First impression is that the sound overall makes it one of Tom's most
timeless-sounding records (as in it doesn't sound very 2006, certainly not
very '80's, but also clearly couldn't really have been made in the eras
towards which it nods in terms of feel and sonics, the '60's and even
'50's).  I think it'll be durable.  Haven't been able to listen closely
enough to evaluate the songs.  I plan to really immerse myself in these.

BTW, another good samaritan passed the new Sonic Youth record my way, and
it is quite good.  I've heard minor grumbles that it's less ambitious than
the last few (excellent) albums, but clearly it's more effort for SY to keep
their songs compact than let 'em sprawl, so this was probably hard work for
them.  It sounds wonderful, closer to SISTER or DAYDREAM than the '90's
stuff, and that, like a new Verlaine disc, is an aural balm for what ails
me.

-Rex

What about that new guy who lives in the Fresno area with his wife?  I'd