Re: (TV) My Review (from memory) of New Cds r / RE: We Need More MM Lister s' Reviews!

uh,leo ,you are being hard on the man , i agree with "a parade .." sounding out of place with the other songs , i love the melodies and the leslie guitar bits ,but the rythmn and general sound is a little dated ..."documentary " is complete genius for me , the review on LA Weekly pointed the aura of madness in the song ... "the day on you "doesnt sound so much superior to the rest of the album ,i love it anyway ,and "all weirded out " is so fun and rocking ,cmon! , in a whole it seems to me like he was really focused on this ...
  and i like "around" but like to hear a more composed instro album from him ,and also more collaborative records with other musicians ,like this guys ,television ...

"Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@Volpe.dot.gov> escribis:
  Amilcar wrote:
>leo, you send a complete review ? ,maybe i missed it ,
>looking forward to listers opinions ...

Not only am I not a R. Thompson fan, I'm also a ffffin'
hypocrite. I had only written a very short review to the
List about a week before the cds were officially released.

So here's some thoughts.

"Songs and Other Things": I'm mildly disappointed.
Depending on the day of the week, I either give it
a B- or a B ---although the more I listen to it, its
grade goes up a notch, somewhere between B to B+ .

IMHO, the first track, "A Parade In Littleton" is the
worst first-track to ever appear on a Verlaine album with
the exception of 1982's WFTF's "Present Arrived". My
April Fools joke about TV being sued contained an element
of truth: "A Parade In Littleton" sounds like a circa-1980
Olivia Newton-John backing-track, or maybe good
elevator/supermarket Music [I know, the latter is an
oxymoron]. C-

"Heavenly Charms" is inferior to the song with the same
name and structure from TV's 2001 Benefit show. Here it
sounds silly, and the vocals' attempt at desire or passion
rings false.
C- to C

On "Orbit", his voice is [dare I say it?] smoky, and it fits
nicely with the song's storyline. His vocal is a lot like
Iggy Pop's 19790[?] album, 'New Values'. But the his playing
tries too hard to make sound baleful, and his pseudo-sinister
organ riff sounds like something from a 1950's scary
kiddie-show. I usually love his keyboard playing on all his
records but here it sounds trite. B-

I'm writing this at work from memory, and I can't remember
much about "Blue Light", which is ordinarily not a good
sign. If it's the song I'm thinking of, it's beautiful, tinged
with regret---almost mournful [Doesn't he sing a line that
goes "I remember ..." ??] B

"From Her Fingers" is a wall of driving guitars--hefty
and ponderous, but the lyrics are lightweight---the
refrain of: "Fa, Fa, Fa, Fa, Fa / Bring a
dream girl ... ... to me"; otherwise it would be perfect.
It's quite danceable, and it will be Tom's first
million-selling single. A-

"Nice Actress" doesn't work--it leaves me cold. If it
weren't for The word 'fuck' it wouldn't have even been
recorded. [Although Ms. Secret X said that it's a song
about a real but bit-part actor, who Tom had once met.] C

"A Stroll" is another song I can't remember too much
about. It's simple and stark [??]. B-

In "The Earth Is In The Sky", Verlaine takes a perfect
song and almost ruins its whole mood and grandeur his
guitar has worked so hard to achieve----by inserting a
spoken-part that silly, not believable, too long, and
makes me cringe every time I hear it
"Valerie, I know I've ..."). A-

"Peace Piece" is a nice acoustic instrumental. A-

"Lovebird Asylum Seeker" is tender and beautiful--except
for its opening little monologue, 'Hi baby. It's just
me ...'). Whereas his monologue on "Swim" worked for
me, here it just sounds fake. A-

I think "The Day On You" is one of Tom's best songs
ever (in my all-time top 10). A++.

The song is an exaltation. In the beginning and
mid-parts, the guitar(s) produces a stately, majestic
mood as if we're walking through an ancient cathedral.

Then the playing evokes sexual fervor (but in an almost
sacred sense), and finally, the slide-work intensifies
and then releases the sexual tension. It's transcendent.
It's about the unknowable---something greater than
Humankind, " ... a beauty cold and austere, without
appeal to any part of our weaker nature,... yet sublimely
pure, and capable of a stern perfection ..." (B.R.)

I get goose-bumps every time I play it.

But IMHO, despite some of the songs above that are
gems, most of the others on the cd drag down the
final average grade for "Songs and Other Things".

Their melodies are simple---unfortunately, simple in
an uninteresting and overly familiar way. They're not
'familiar' to other Verlaine album melodies--although
"The Earth Is In The Sky" is a direct descendant of
1987's "At 4 AM"---but from other commonplace artists.
There's a song with a bass line and rhythm that a
direct cop of a 1950's song (maybe it's "Duke of
Earl"[??]).

Although the rest of the songs have some nice little
guitar fills, the songs' basic melodies are
unimaginative. I even hear guitar melodies
that " ... have been the billionth generation of
some riff in a Top 40 song." (T.V.)

On the new cd Verlaine tries to sing with an
intonation to assume the verbal persona of the male
fictional character in each of the songs---similar
to what he did on Flash Light's "The Scientist
Writes A Letter"', or "'At 4am".

The result on Songs and Other Things" is sometimes
painful to listen to. It has some of his worst
vocal-ideas ever (although I wasn't too happy with
his unctuous [inadvertent I'm sure] vocals on most
of "The Wonder").

I can't place the song "Documentary" except that I
recall that someone on the List said it was their
current favorite. (No grade yet.)

On "All Weirded Out" Verlaine had a chance to go
crazy and get Real bizzaro as he does on his covers
of "Psychotic Reaction". He wrote "All Weirded Out"
in the early 80s, and there exists a live 1996 version
with Jimmy Ripp on guitar, Jay Dee Daugherty on drums
and, Tony Shanahan of The Patti Smith Group on bass.
Because Tony Shanahan appears that the studio version
on "Songs and Other Things" [again, I'm writing this
from memory, so please send in any corrections, or to
tell me my grading of the songs stinks!] was most
likely recorded around the 1996. I'd wager, TV did
little with/to it and just slapped it on the new cd
as it was in 1996. Yeah I realize the liner notes say
all songs recorded in the new century, so I'll say the
"All Weirded Out" on "Songs and Other Things" sounds
like it was just slapped on. C+

"Shingaling" is another lightweight--kind of Tom
Verlaine does Hip Hop, but it works. B

So, converting all my letter grades to numbers between
1 and 10:
10 equivalent to an A; 9 = A- ; 8 = B+; 7 = B; 6 = B- ;
5 = C+; 4 = C; 3 = C- ; 2 = D+ ; 1 = D; 0 = D- ;
-1 = F+ ; -2 = F; -150 = F-;
And A++ = 1,000!, and A+ = 11,
I get an average grade for "Songs and Other Things"
of 7 to 7.5.

Or taking the geometric mean, I get 7.513044. :>)

(Maybe my expectations and standards for TV could be
unrealistically high.)

PS: I like "Around" very much. A