Re: (TV) tom at the 930

Hi. I was there too. I never did get to score a photo pass, but oh well. (Neither Thrill Jockey nor Tom's manager replied to my e-mails.)

Anyway, the original review was pretty much correct. I'd say there were 200-225 people at most, and that's pushing it. Tom could've easily played The Black Cat, which was a few blocks away, and the room still would've been half-empty. The band was kind of loose overall, but when they got going, they churned out some pretty tight stuff. As per the usual 9:30 standard (at least whenever I go there), vocals were buried in the mix, although the bass did sound right for once.

Oh, and for those keeping score at home, Tom had zero merch for sale. Megan Reilly had a couple of CDs, and that was it.

Speaking of Megan, she was okay. She struck me as a "soccer mom" version of a singer-songwriter, which was kind of annoying, but she was trying her best. I'd want to listen to an album before passing final judgment.

All in all, I'm glad I went, although I'm not sure it was worth the $25 I paid. $15, maybe $20, would've left me feeling more satisfied. As is, go in expecting some pretty basic rock, with some of Tom's idiosyncrasies thrown in, and you'll be much more satisfied than if you expect a Television cover band. (Thankfully, while I didn't really expect the former, I certainly didn't expect the latter.)

D.R.