Re: (TV) OT: Kids doing King Crimson

I didn't mean for this to be taken as a sweeping statement about these kind of endeavours. Just this particular instance (and the doucumentary).

  I also have a 10 year old playing tenor saxaphone and is very enthusiastic about it. So, am I.

  M.

eRacerX <eracerx@adelphia.net> wrote:
  ---- Micah wrote:
> I couldn't do it. I got 3 minutes into it and had to close the browser. The gimmicky nature of that whole "School of Rock" enterprise is lost on me. Good on the kids putting in the time, exhibiting the necessary discipline to get this music under their fingers - but, frankly it doesn't rock and no one looks like they are enjoying themselves. That lack of enthusiasm for the tune comes out in the music.
>
> M.

...but they do a pretty rousing version of 'Red'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxRM45IyJeg

I feel your comments are a little harsh, Micah.
As the father of teens (12 and 15) who play in the school orchestra and in their own rock band, I can tell you that the kids who put in the effort are enthusiastic, and the inability to make 'Crimson King's jump out of the speakers is probably due to stage fright. Or perhaps it was the first song first set, or no soundcheck - sound familiar?

How many of us had a band at 14? Not me.

The 'Rock School' may be a concept gleaned from the movie, and making some bucks for some failed rocker somewhere, but IMHO playing rock is better than 'pop classics' in public school. I know the kids dig it.

If you search for other Paul Green School video on YouTube, you'll some interesting song choices:
Van Halen's Mean Streets
Some Crimson
Metallica
Yngwie !