(TV) The Waitresses compilation -- my review

The long long LONG awaited Waitresses compilation, "Just Desserts: The Complete Recordings", was released yesterday. I got my copy today. I'm really enjoying it.

(As a reminder, the drummer for the Waitresses was Billy Ficca -- originally recruited to re-record drums on "I Know What Boys Like" after the one-off track Chris Butler did became a hit).

Here's the quick review I just posted elsewhere:

"I got my copy today. A really nice set. Sound is good throughout; a side-by-side comparison of tracks with the 1990 best-of CD makes the two look pretty even. (Though the debut is a big step-up from the digital version you can buy on Amazon.com right now, which is not only sourced from vinyl but -- as I realized today -- has the stereo image flipped).
The alternate, previously unreleased "Bruiseology" has vocals by Tracy Wormworth; seems like this was done when it wasn't clear that Patty Donahue would return to record her own vocals for the track (which she did). The booklet, while unfortunately not including lyrics, has lengthy notes on the story of the band and new interview content with Chris Butler. Like the liners to the 1990 best-of (or most interviews with Butler on the topic of the Waitresses), it's a bit poignant and sad; Butler mentions that he had demo'd a whole album of material right after BRUISEOLOGY for the final entry in a Waitresses "trilogy" that would never get made.

One new detail (to me): Butler attributes part of the band's disintegration to the fact that lead singer Patty Donahue became romantically involved with drummer Billy Ficca.

If I have any gripes about the set, it's that the liners commit one my irritants in compilations: Talking about tracks that aren't included on the set. In this case, it's several early recordings the band made before signing to Ze (and later Polydor). In fact, while the set is subtitled "The Complete Recordings", the sticker affixed to the shrinkwrap more accurately refers to it as "The Complete Polydor Recordings". Anyway -- this is as much Waitresses (probably more) than most people will ever need -- both albums, their sole EP, and a few b-sides/remixes -- but seems like there are a few rarities out there that would make a good single disc. Maybe in another 30 years?

I know the debut album and subsequent EP well, but not so much the second record. For example, I just today noticed the "Aladdin Sane"-esque piano solo in "Everything's Wrong If My Hair Is Wrong"! Clearly, the second album was encouraging some real experimentation. Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing this whole lots in coming weeks/months/years. An unjustly forgotten band finally given decent catalog treatment."

--Phil