RE: Yikes! / RE: Q on '(I Thought) You Wanted To Know' [?!!?] / RE: (TV) More TV-related cover versions

Thanks Phil.  All very interesting.  I have the dBs compilation cd.

-----Original Message-----
From: tv-owner@obbard.com [mailto:tv-owner@obbard.com] On Behalf Of Phil
Obbard
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 9:27 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: Yikes! / RE: Q on '(I Thought) You Wanted To Know' [?!!?] / RE:
(TV) More TV-related cover versions

See this interview with Stamey and Holsapple where Stamey addresses the top
ic of "(I Thought) You Wanted to Know":

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/
2009/06/01/qa-with-peter-holsapple-chris-stamey/

Was there a great
plan that preceded the formation of the dB?s?
I had recorded a so
lo record for my label of Richard Lloyd singing a song of his, ?I T
hought You Wanted To Know.? When Television?s A&R person, t
he legendary Karin Berg, kindly pointed out that he was signed to Elektra a
nd this was thus illegal to release, I redid the vocal myself (with Richard
?s blessing) and made up the ?and the dB?s?
 part?couldn?t afford to waste all that expensive recording
 time. Will and Gene had moved to NYC to play with me, and we did a quick b
-Side, ?If And When.? We took the dB?s as the name
of the beginning band because of that single, played as a trio for a few mo
nths, then sent a passenger pigeon to Memphis to reclaim Peter into the fol
d. No great plan went into any of this, I think we were just happy to be pa
rt of the exciting CBGB-based music explosion, where the rules seemed to be
 shifting and anything seemed possible.

Phil

On Thursday