RE: (TV) Tyler Wilcox on the Eno demos

Not dumping on Wilcox per se (he writing style is fine), but a few comments
on Eno and the Double Exposure Demos:

1) " ....But it does hint at a **more successful collaboration between Eno
and Television**, when at the peak of the song?s famous climb-the-stairs
climax, a cascade of piano and ambient sound washes over the guitars, a
zen-like calm overtaking the wiry tension. You could call it positively
Eno-esque?except that Richard Williams says Verlaine played the keyboards
here.".

I believe Richard Williams' assertion that TV played the keyboards and not
Eno. Moreover, it makes perfect sense that TV (being the perfectionist that
he is in the studio) would be the keyboardist.  That said: Tyler's '.. hint
of a more successfully collaboration' doesn't make any sense.

2) RE: "... Television?s guitarist Richard Lloyd went even further,
disavowing Eno?s input altogether. 'This was NOT produced by Brian Eno,' he
wrote. 'Richard Williams from Island wanted to record the band and [said]
that he would like to bring Eno along because Richard didn't know anything
about how to record in studios. So we said OK, but didn't use a single idea
that Eno brought.'.".

In Richard Lloyd's magnanimous comment on Richard Williams' blog about
Television Mk-iv's November 19, 2013, The Roundhouse, London show (i.e.,
about Rip's guitar playing), he also wrote: " ...but when Brian (Eno) showed
up he came with all these crazy ideas like cutting up the lyrics and
treating them like a tossed salad =[i.e., we said] ?No?. He wanted to do
crazy things like attach the guitar amps to the ceiling etc?=[i.e., we said]
?No?. We nixed every idea he had, and simply wanted to be recorded. The
studio itself was terrible for our sound and we were not fond of the
results.".

3) I realize I'm most likely in the minority on this, but other than as a
historical artifact, I have never understood the persistent fascination of
these Sessions. I was first exposed to them on a bootleg vinyl album I
bought around 1980 (I also own the various Carried Away and Rovner digital
versions). I thought in 1980 the sound was awful (sterile and dead), and
still do. I also thought the performances (albeit from Dec. 1974 and not
fully formed versions unlike the masterpieces they would become in Feb. 1977
on Elektra LP) terrible.

Leo

PS: I own several of Eno's recordings (e.g., his great soundscapes), but I
was very happy he left Roxy Music in 1974 after clashing artistically with
Bryan Ferry. If you listen to Roxy's song 'Edition Of You' you can hear how
Eno (IMHO) wrecks an otherwise great song with his silly keyboards (from the
1:29 mark to 2:03).