From: Brian Young [mailto:raggedglory57@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 23, 2001 11:54 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) Peter Laughner

Awhile back I mentioned that I had a couple of Peter Laughner boots coming
to me.  Now, with the sad passing of John Fahey, one of them is even more
poignant.  It's a tape called Nocturnal Digressions, a tape supposedly made
on the night before Laughner's demise.  It was a spooky thing to hear, and
full of life and talent.  Armed with an acoustic guitar, a six of Genny a
pack of Lucky Strikes and God knows whatever other substances, he played 15
songs that filled 60 minutes of tape.  Guess what the first song was?

"See No Evil."

Other tell tale tunes included "Calvary Cross", "Slim Slow Slider", "Blank
Generation" and "Wild Horses."  Especially haunting/haunted was his version
of Robert Johnson's "Me and the Devil Blues." Chilling. Definite hellhound
on this man's trail.  When Lester Bangs stops hangin' with you because you
party too hard, you've got to believe the writing was on the wall.  To hear
him sing "Hello, Satan, I believe it's time to go", and "Baby, I don't care
where you bury my body when I'm dead and gone" on the night before he died,
well, you've gotta think part of him knew.  The next to last song was a song

called China, and I'm unfamiliar with it, but it was slow and sad and
possibly about junk.  Right after he finished it, he says "You didn't think
I was gonna leave you like that, did ya?" and plays a rousing version of
"Summertime Blues."

Also on this tape was 30 minutes of a jam in the Creem office earlier in '77

between Peter, Lester Bangs and Pete Stemphel.  A lot of fun. Here's the
complete tracklisting of both sessions:

Nocturnal Digressions, 6/21/77

See No Evil
Come on in