Re: (TV) rap, and that's my final word on the subject

Hey jpg,

got it, I'll check out KRS1, the teacher. What do you recommend? Remember
when he came out but never got it. Do you all know the first Jungle Brothers
album? There's one cut, It's just a ghetto thing, with Q Tip from the Tribe,
killer song. The whole album's great. It's on Tommy Boy, Tower records
refused to carry them, I remember. The album was hard to find then and now
is more so but is worth it. All that old-school stuff was great, had the
right attitude, rebellious spirit, as Mike said. The Beastie Boys' Check
Your Head and Paul's Boutique are great, tough records, too. Most of my
complaints about hip-hop relate to how commercial it has become, seems like
cookie-cutter beats and generic samples. And Lauryn Hill-I'll give her
another listen. I dug the Fugees, but I dismissed her album at first listen
because I thought it was a "diva"-vein product, exactly like Whitney or
Mariah Carey, as Mike picked up. Still cling to my thought that the dominant
influence of hip-hop, through the media, has obliterated musicianship, or
the interest in musicianship. Has anyone turned off their CD
player/turntable/Mp3/tape player and listened to the radio lately? Sometimes
in NY, if you're lucky, you can pick up FMU or the Columbia or Fordham
stations, but the bandwidth(?) is nothing but acres of shyte. Classic rock
stations dominate (I think there are about 4 of them now), and 2 or 3
commercial adult-contemporary R&B and hip-hop stations. Blech. If you work
in construction, as I sometimes do, one of these two type stations prevail
all-day(depending on the demographic of the crew). It is this desperate
scenario for which the phrase "Please Kill Me" has special meaning.
Scott
----------
>From: jpg <jpg@sirius.com>
>To: tv@obbard.com
>Subject: Re: (TV) rap
>Date: Sun, Jan 9, 2000, 10:36 PM
>

> Rap is the poetry. Hip-hop is the culture.
> Let's get it straight folks.
>
> Jeff Strell wrote:
>
>> I'm with you, Michael.  Like it or not, rap has established itself as a big
>> part of modern pop music -- big enough to spawn lots of subcatagories, and to
>> make lots of different types of people happy.  Dismissing rap as a whole
>> because you don't like gangsta rap is kind of like dismissing guitar-based
pop
>> because you don't like death metal.  Not that it's impossible to just plain
>> dislike rap.  My dad just plain dislikes rock.  I have a kneejerk dislike of
>> opera.  But I find that I'm a lot more open now to types of music I used to
>> "hate" -- country, rap, popular vocals, etc.
>>
>> I think that the world was probably a little bit better off when the general
>> public was more inclusive in their tastes.  When I grew up, it would not be
>> unusual to hear the top 40 station segue from the Troggs to Aretha Franklin
>> the Mamas and Papas to Frank Sinatra to Johnny Cash.  That openness to
>> different cultures is something I really miss.  So all you rap haters, just
>> give it one more chance for ol' uncle Jeff, 'kay?
>>
>> About Lou's voice, well, some people's voices just change when they get
older.
>>  I agree that recent Lou records have been hit or miss.  But "Set The
Twilight