Re: (TV) Rest in Peace Peter Laughner......

Hi Ray and all,

I'm a new fan of Peter and Ubu, just early Ubu thus far, and I spent last
night listening to Humor Me, both the Modern Dance version and the live,
single version from Terminal Tower. I listened to the lyrics, particularly
Dave Thomas spurting out "it's just a joke, man" with rage, and thinking
about the disgust he must have felt at Peter's demise. Intensely moving, and
Tom Herman's guitar is great. Non-Alignment Pact has stirring guitar as
well. Pere Ubu and Wire are two seminal bands that I've really responded to
lately, they have a similar avant-garage appeal, as does early Television of
Little Johnny Jewel and the like. Also lately a friend turned me onto
Beefheart's early 80's "Doc at the Radar Station" which has a similar
sensibility, twisted visionary guitar music. You can really hear the lineage
of Ubu, even a bit of Hell and Patti Smith (in terms of kindred
poet/rockers). Anyone else agree?
Scott