Re: (TV) Rest in Peace Peter Laughner......

I can agree in a way--particularly with the Beefheart (I'm cheating here: David has professed his admiration of Mr. Van Vliet many times)--although there are some components of Ubu's music that are intensely _other_, or at least, their arrangement of them is so, that makes their music seem to come from a different place entirely. I'm thinking of two other treasures on _Modern Dance_: "Real World" and "Over My Head." Maybe you have to be from the rust belt to identify with their otherworldy creepiness, but they do it for me. (Probably some of the alienation is Wire-like, in a way, but to me it's a particularly American flavor of it.)

Check out _Dub Housing_ and, once you're acclimated, _New Picnic Time_. Historical period Ubu was definitely the band that could gene-splice pop and the sound of heavy industry (not the musical genre, but the actual kind that makes things).

-Maurice