Re: (TV) Lanier demos

To follow Mike's "Maybe for a good reason" up, just because it's "unreleased"
doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Unreleased material tends to become
undeservedly legendary. There are a handful of bands where almost every
unreleased track turns out to be pretty amazing - even the VU's dregs are
pretty solid, for example - but a lot of stuff is unreleased for a good reason.

Example: When I was in high school, I collected and avidly listened to
unreleased John Lennon and Beatle outtakes/demos/etc. Re-hearing some of them
with the mystique of 'bootleg' removed - on the three ANTHOLOGY releases or the
new Lennon box - I am amazed an how un-amazing most of it is. There are a few
great gems, to be sure - mostly demos of later famous tracks - and plenty of
curiousities, but I think the Beatles were almost 99.999% right about what they
chose to release and what they kept in the can. Even Phil Spector's work on LET
IT BE was pretty impressive, given the incredibly mixed quality of the Beatles'
sessions leading up to it (not now, "Long and Winding Road" lovers).

The same goes for Hendrix, of course, as we've discussed on this list before,
and plenty of other defunct acts...

Unreleased stuff that is unknown until it finally gets released also tends to
sound better than legendary-but-unheard stuff that finally gets released -
pre-hype inevitably clouds our expectations and makes the music seem less
interesting.

--Philip