Re: (TV) Lanier demos

    And to add to Philip's response here's this.

    I know a guy who was fortunate enough to hear the 8 different
versions leading up to Bob dylan's classic "Like A Rolling Stone". Which,
if you have the "Bootleg Series" issued by Columbia(not the bootleg) it
started out as a 3/4 waltz type of tune. Including the 6 other tracks in
between it was the last and final take that Dylan and his band nailed it
as the classic that we all know and love. I'm not so sure I'd want to hear
the other versions. It's interesting to hear the first take to see where
it landed though. Another case in point is the eraly Velvet Underground reel
that
is the first CD in the "Peel Slowly & See". How many of you who own it
will realistically listen to those lame versions of what was it "Heroin,
Waiting For
The Man, and was it Venus N' Furs"? They're really dull. Yes I have to admit
that when I initially heard about it I thought it was pretty amazing that
Cale
was unleashing this upon the fans. After one listen all the way through I
knew that
I wouldn't be listening to these version again for a very long time. 5 years
later
and I still haven't listened again. Some things just ain't worth hearing.
Though
I'd give anything for those other remaining demos. Even the Eno demos of
Television
do not compare to what we love or at least what I love about the band.
There's no
edge, it's all bottom end. Marquee Moon is one of those records that has to
be
listened in headphones to truly appreciate and understand what the band went
through to get those guitar sounds. All those doubled guitar parts to get
that
ringing sound are sometimes split into two channels, then pulled one guitar
and bring it back it. It's really a complex recording and mixing technique.
Two songs that really benefit fom this are "Venus and Prove it"
True the songs have to be good to begin with but this was and in my opinion
still is the ultimate guitar LP without being ostentatious. If you've never
listened to the LP in headphones you're in for a real treat. Focus on the
guitars first, then later the whole band as a unit. It's incredible. I
wonder
if Tom gave it that much thought when he was putting it together. I'm
rambling
again, thanks all. M T C