Re: (TV) Wayne County first at CBGBs?

Hi TV'ers & Howard,

In a message dated 1/29/00 5:48:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
howard@lasercomp.demon.co.uk writes:

>Subj:   (TV) Wayne County first at CBGBs?
>Someone called jimi lalumia has written in my guestbook that Wayne County
>was the first person to play CBGBs.
>
>Does anyone know about this? Here is what he wrote in my guestbook
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Horizon/7784/geobook.html
>
>-Howard
>
>from:
>jimi lalumia - 01/29/00 01:36:37
>
>Comments:
>hate to break the news to you, but wayne (now jayne) county was the first of
>the ny rockers to play cbgb's in dec 73, as detailed in the new patti smith
>unauthorized biography, and verified by hilly krystal himself, television
>played in the spring of 74, and revisionist homophobes have tried to
>rewrite history, we have begun to unravel this nasty web/having said all
>that, television is a great band, they don't need to lie and claim an
>accomplishment that is not theirs to claim. wayne county brought ny rock to
>the bowery first, and that's the facts!

I don't know about the accuracy of jimi's statement, but I want to add that
jimi, I believe is/was a writer/journo for the Island Ear or Good Times paper
and generally found his viewpoints to be reasonable. I, too, always believed
that TV, Blondie, Talking Heads, and Ramones were the forerunners of NY punk.
Never considered Wayne County as part of that group, although they probably
were around at the time. Michael C. -- do you know the facts of this
statement?

Henry