Re: (TV) Grammys

It's funny, but I swear I told my wife a few months ago that Santana would
win the Grammy for best song. Why? I heard the song on AOR, Alternative *and*
Easy Listening stations. Very weird.

To me though, Carlos' award strikes me as a case of what I've called "Bonnie
Raitt Syndrome". Carlos is getting the nod because he's been around forever,
done some good work, but never won anything. This single gave him some
profile (the way NICK OF TIME did for Bonnie), so the Grammy folks slather
him with awards.

Personally, I lost what shred of respect I had for the Grammies back when
Frank Zappa's BROADWAY THE HARD WAY was nominated (for you non Zappa fans,
this was a live album taken from his 1988 tour). Yes, I'm a huge Zappa fan,
and I love this album .. it's one of my favorites. My beef? It was nominated
for, I kid you not, BEST BROADWAY CAST ALBUM. It didn't win, but it was
another "Bonnie Raitt Syndrome" deal. They knew Zappa's name, saw this and
figured they could throw him a bone. The fact that it was nominated in a
blatantly wrong category tells me that the Grammy powers-that-be never even
listened to it.

    -- Owen

Owen Gwilliam
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg

"What do you get when you take Italy's finest zydeco musicians and turn them
loose on a program of Cyndi Lauper favorites? We have no idea, really, but we
imagine it would sound nothing like THE MISTAKES, the semi-long-awaited
collaboration between four of modern music's more intriguing practitioners
..."
    -- from the press release for the debut album by The Mistakes