Re: (TV) Cale

MICHAEL CARLUCCI wrote:

>    Unless Philip & I have the only misprints, the Helen Of Troy LP's & CD's
> all spell Hogue, and the repeating chorus is Hogue, in the Cale song anyway,
>
> can't speak for the Peckinpah film.

DEFINITELY Houge. I saw this movie on TV in the 70s the only time I ever did
peyote, & since Cable dies for a stupid reason at the end, I thought it was
telling me I had to die too, & did my only ever suicide attempt (still have my
note - aren't drugs fun?)
  Ran into Cale a bunch of times in the late 70s/early 80s, & he was usually
fucked up. He was in Rather Ripped Records in Berkeley arguing with a customer
who wanted to know about a record that Cale produced, & Cale was YELLING at him
that he never heard of the record. I did have a chance to meet Cale - one of the
last times I was in NYC (around '80 or so) a buddy of mine, Jim Goodwin (AKA
Huge Discounts) had joined Cale on keyboards & invited me to their rehersal.
Unfortunately I couldn't go - it started at 3AM.
    The last time I was clubbing in NYC before moving to California was around
'9/78. A buddy & I went to Hurrah's to see the Cramps & an opening band who's
name I can't remember, but had ex-members of The Planets. We were tripping &
things were great, but there was some huge guy there that was spooking my buddy
out so bad that he wouldn't walk past him to go to the bathroom.
   I knew the Cramps a bit from my days with The Pagans, as they played together
a bunch of times (Nick Knox from the Cramps & Mike "Tommy Gunn" Metoff of the
Pagans are cousins - in fact Mike was in the Cramps for awhile as Ikey Knox),
they did a wonderful headlining set. After they got off the stage, the huge guy
took the stage with another guy on guitar,using the Cramps equipment, & were
joined by the rhythm section from the opening band. The huge guy was fucked up &
couldn't get the mic to work, kept yelling & pointing to the mic. I was talking
to Char, Cramps manager, asked who that guy was & why he was using the Cramps
equipment. She said "oh, that's just Cale". Great music! It wasn't until a
couple months later that I saw a pic of the event in Trowser Press & discovered
the other guitarist was Chris Spedding!
  The night ended leaving Hurrahs & seeing Cale at a pay phone, holding the
receiver at arm's length & yelling HULLO? HULLO?

best,
Gary Mollica