RE: (TV) Re: The Beat Generation

The last two Luna albums have begun to lose me (PUP TENT and DAYS OF OUR
NIGHTS). I like a track here and there (and many of the b-sides, ironically),
but the songs have dropped in quality overall, I think - not enough memorable
melodies anymore. Wareham's lyrics, normally entertaining, are also straying
towards Jonathan Richman-type simplicity without the more endearing qualities
of Mr. Richman's delivery.

I thought the first three were all excellent. LUNAPARK is probably the most
straightforward, pop, accessible album; BEWITCHED is probably my personal
favorite (quieter, sleepy, but with some gorgeous songs); and while PENTHOUSE
is slightly uneven, the highs are outstanding ("Sideshow by the Seashore",
"Chinatown", "Freakin' and Peakin'", the hidden Gainsbourg cover, and of course
the two Verlaine-related tracks: "Moon Palace" and my all time Luna favorite,
"23 Minutes In Brussels").

--Philip