Re: (TV) Hell v. Lloyd

>New York, and what Richard Hell supposedly invented, (torn
>clothes and safety pins?) never came into it. As far as I remember
>we knew virtually nothing about New York and cared even less.

    Richard would never wear something as cheap as a safety pin. That wasn't
NY
style. Let's not forget, Richard was doing this in '73 a few years before
the
look actually caught on. I'm not saying he's soley responsible for the look
but
he certainly played a big role. I'm not the world's biggest McClaren fan but
he was doing alot of snooping around here and taking it all back to England.
As far as the glam thing, it was all too neat looking. I went thru the phase
and loved
wearing womens shirts that were just a wee bit small for even my boney
frame.
but the look was cool(at 15 and 16). The image that Hell created, at least
here
in NY City caught on quickly to where it certainly spread to England alot
faster than
the British fashion caught on here. I can remember when the Damned did their
first show
at CBGB's, there were all these safety pinned heads standing outside. They
looked
ridiculous and out of place. It wasn't happening here. Even the Ramones must
get some of the
credit for their influence in creating that ripped jeans look and once
again, without
'the safety pins. Safety pins were something that I personally never saw as
fashion.
As a child most of my shirts were kept together with safety pins. Mymother
worked
2 jobs and didn't have much time for mending things at the pace that I was
wearing them
out at. So I used safety pins until I learned how to sew.

    Anyway, that's my point. Thanks. M T C