(TV) Re: Bill Frisell at Pizza Express, London, Sat night....

RE: (TV) What?Hi Micah/all,
                  I'm posting this on the list as there seem to be a few
Frisell fans out there in TV land....

I suppose i didn't know what to really expect from this gig.My friend Steve
has been playing me snatches of B.F. stuff here and there for some time now
and while i always thought he was an interesting and accomplished player I
have never properly connected with him as such -(the exception of course
being his dobro playing on David Sylvian's last record)- so I'm happy to
report that I thoroughly enjoyed myself,in fact I was completely entranced
during certain pieces.
He had an array of sample padals and other effects up on stage with him and
at first I thought-" here we go we're gonna end up in self-indulgent Fripp
type hell"-but rather he used this technology sparingly and thoughtfully at
all times.
He played both electric and acoustic (though not at the same time!?!) and
began each piece by playing an initial phrase or riff,looping it and then
embellishing and improvising on top often while looping a second or third
phrase on top of that or changing the original and then playing over that
too.It was fascinating to watch (timing -wise!)but ultimately it was his
lyrical,warm-hearted, idiosyncratic playing style that won me over-he's a
melodic and mischevious musician but never showy.Each individual piece held
my attention fully and never seemed to go on any longer than it should...
The first few pieces he did reminded me a little of Warm and Cool-sparse and
reverby- though his style is obviously a lot different from Verlaines - and
I remember thinking at one stage in the set that Frisell would surely be the
ideal person to do soundtracks for the Coen bros movies.
>From what I was told later the majority of the set was taken from his latest
all-solo offering and the best recommendation i can give for the gig
ultimately is that I will definitely buy the cd at a later date.B.F. seems
like a humble,friendly,humourous guy into the bargain so that endeared him
to me also-I'll be there when he plays London again I think.

Cheers...R.